St. Olav Ways
St. Olav Ways in Norway
The pilgrimage route, St. Olav Ways, or Old Kings’ Road, leads to Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim, Norway, the site of the medieval tomb of St. Olav. Olav II Haraldsson was King of Norway from 1015 to 1028. After he fell in the battle of Stiklestad in 1030, he was declared a martyr and a saint.
There are dozens of different routes to take, from short one-day trips to journeys lasting several weeks. With that being said, the main long-distance route is Gudbrandsdalen, stretching 643 km from Oslo to Trondheim. You can choose to stay in a variety of accommodations ranging from modest campsites to medieval farmhouses to ultra-comfortable hotels, and plan some incredible farm-to-table local dishes.
Experience pristine nature and traditional Norwegian heritage along this medieval pilgrimage route!
Highlights of St. Olav Ways
- Explore historically important sites, beautiful churches and preserved buildings from the Middle Ages.
- Practice the art of slow travel as you walk through ancient villages and medieval towns.
- Spend the night on historic farms and medieval pilgrim’s lodges.
- Experience pristine nature in the form of fields, forest, rivers, mountains, fjords, and sea.
- Be captivated by Norwegian myths and legends from the great St. Olav.
- Listen to your inner wisdom and tap into your truest self along the quiet, persistent path.
This route spans 643 kilometres from Oslo to Norway’s third-largest city, Trondheim. Plan for at least 32 days to hike the entire path.
Starts in eastern Sweden and ends in Trondheim, 580 km in total. It follows parts of the road that Olav Haraldsson traveled when he returned from Russia in the summer of 1030 to recapture the Norwegian throne.
Over 9 stages, you’ll walk the one of the wildest routes of St. Olav Ways. You’ll stay in simple huts or your own tent. The route is incredibly beautiful with turquoise mountain lakes and lush meadows, spotted with wooden chapels along the route.
Your Own Way
The multitude of route options can get overwhelming. We can help you craft an unforgettable custom pilgrimage itinerary or work with you as a travel coach based on your interests and time frame.
Pilgrimage is a journey with purpose, an opportunity to reconnect with your soul.
Ready to walk St. Olav Ways? Contact our travel experts to start your journey.