While you can get by walking the Camino without knowing any Spanish, it’s always better to learn some essential Spanish phrases for the Camino de Santiago. Learning the language allows for deeper connection with locals and Spanish culture. Learning the local language also helps you to be a more independent traveler. Navigating a foreign country is so much easier with a basic grasp of the language! While on the Camino, these phrases will help you to get by. Grab a pencil and paper, and let’s get started!
1.Hola/Adios – Hello/Goodbye
2. Cómo estás? / Qué tal? – How are you?
3. Bien/Todo bien/Mal – Well, all good, Bad
4.Gracias – Thank you (second one is in Spanish accent)
5.De nada – You’re welcome [Direct translation: It’s nothing]
6. Por favor – Please
7. Hablas ingles? – Do you speak English?
8.Me llamo…. – My name is ____ [literally “I call myself”]
9.Buenos dias – Good morning
10.Buenas tardes – Good afternoon
11. Buenas noches – Good night
Spanish words or phrases you’ll most definitely hear on the Camino
12. Buen Camino! – Good Camino! (used as a greeting often along the Camino)
13.Peregrino – Pilgrim (that’s you!)
14. Menu del peregrino (Pilgrim’s menu)
15. Ampolla – Blister
16. Sello – Stamp (for your credential)
17. Credencial – Credential
18.Listo?!/ Estas listo? – Ready?! / Are you ready?
19. Chinches – Bedbugs
20. Por fin, he llegado! – Finally, I’ve arrived!
There you have it – a list of 20 Spanish phrases for the Camino de Santiago. You’re one step closer to your goal of walking the Camino de Santiago! Good luck, and buen Camino!